perjantai 31. maaliskuuta 2017

Second summary. Things have turned serious

Another quick update. Full descriptions coming later though but quickk summary how next 3 days went.

After first 2 days I had got to temple 11 and was preparing to conquer the Shosanji that is commonly attributed as hardest temple of the trip and as "the place where pilgrims fall". Path had steep climp up, short descent, then very steep climp to almost 800 meter height followed by knee breaking descent before starting the hardest climb of this part to some 725m height.

I took 3 times break(along with plenty of short stops for air) meeting other pilgrims on and off. In particular was enjoying company of one pair of japanese. I hope we'll meet again! Would be nice to share more experiences.

I had heard there was snow on top which was scary thought having just sent warm jacket away. Would have been embarrasing to fail because I had sent needed warm clothes just before! Luckily it was just small piles so while it was chilly enough I managed to survive it without too much trouble.

Lodging was one of the best experiences so far and really drove in the pilgim-fellowship feeling in.

Next day proved to be feet killing 36 kilometer hike including one mountain climb and descent. Not sure how plan was so off in distance. Had I known it was that off I might have reconsidered plans a bit. Still I got some of the best photos of trip during it and bangai bekkaku temple 2 was one of the most beautiful ones so far. Overall great day and meeting on and off other pilgrims whom i would be meeting later again. I managed to get up to temple 16 with feet feeling like they were dead. But having walked 36km mostly on asphalt rather than 28km like i thought no wonder.

Day 5 then had first taste of rain during pilgrimage. Unsurprisingly it is not pleasant experience. It was also day of forgeting things, getting lost and talking until I felt like tongue would fall off! People are generally talkative and when they realize I can speak Japanese they go off. In particular i remember sweet little grandma I met in the Jizo-in. Wish you strenght and happy deas ahead!

Left heel gave me some grief(pain) in the day but got better during the walking so maybe it's okay.

Another issue is sunday's lodging whose plan A and plan B failed. Plan C wasn't viable for me(like I sleep outside with no tent nor sleeping bag!) and plan D would cost me one of the two reserve days so I went for plan E and will take a train to Tokushima on sunday, sleep there and come back on monday. Heh. Not exactly purist way to do but not short cut either. Actually adds up distance to walk on sunday and monday.

Sunday is going to be one of the toughest days so far likely. Close to 30km(assuming plan is about right for a change...Above is slightly more than my calculations say), 2 bigger mountaints to 500m and 520m and smaller mountain to around 200m. Going to be long day but I took chance to get business hotel with the train trip. That way checkin can be late so I can if need walk until say 7pm if need be though darkness could be problem(well I have lamps) so I can take rest breaks without worrying about running late. I even specified on hotel booking "late check in".

After sunday it gets bit easier with 3 shorter days if lodgings work out as planned. Then comes first long days in the Kochi prefecture that I have been bit worried. Long stretches of same asphalt highway for tens of kilometers with little to no temples to visit either!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti