perjantai 24. maaliskuuta 2017

First lodgings booked

One preparation that I had been putting off was lodgings. For one it would be first time I would be booking lodgings over phone and I was nervous. For second I won't be booking weeks in advance during the pilgrimage either so might just as well do it in same way. If this has lots of booked fully problem I can reconsider things for later.

Now I have been studying Japanese for tad over 6 years and been to Japan 4 times so far. But I have never ever booked up hotel by phone! So far it's been by internet site so human contact has been email only if that. That or I have walked to the reception and asked for room(did this once). And phone experience to Japan has been just once to taxi company. While I have talked with Japanese over skype it's still different just chatting to booking something!

But cannot be helped so on wednesday picked up phone. I started with nearby temple 1 for the first night in sunday. No answers from two minshuku or ryokan. Not a good start. Moving onward I decided to book for monday instead. For this one I wanted to stay in the 6th temple of the trip, Anrakuji, which offers temple lodging. Now I have stayed in temple lodgings before and enjoyed and it feels very appropriate for a pilgrimage so I had decided to try to stay in as many as possible.

So I called(via skype. 9 cents per minute to Japan. WAY cheaper than regular phone call). I got a response! And couldn't understand a word! I panicked did I even call right country never mind right place. Switching to English I understood that a) yes this IS Anrakuji b) there was major signal problems which made it hard for both of us to understand each other. My english probably didn't help so once I knew it was Anrakuji on the phone I switched to Japanese and we managed to sort out bookings. Yey! 1 down. Was planning 3 more.

Next up for tuesday. I called for minshuku nearest to temple #11(Fujiidera) so that I could on wednesday start as close as possible to infamous climb to #12 Shosanji. I got a response. Good start. I introduced myself and what I wanted. He said to wait a moment and talked to somebody. Fully booked...Oh bummer.

Well I decided to think on this bit more and called for wednesday's lodging(which was last one I was planning to book). This is first big one as it's shortly after #12 and next one would be several km's(or probably like 1.5-2h walk) away and after climb to Shosanji not sure how far I could walk so I definitely wanted this one. Was bit nervous when I called!

Luckily this one went without a hickup. I got myself a place! Yey! Later I read other pilgrim's experience and it even sounds good place to stay with a friendly dog! I love dogs so that's a nice bonus.

Back to tuesday's lodging. I looked airbnb possibilities. Closest too far for my taste. I considered business hotel nearby but those don't tend to have meals so I wanted ryokan/minshuku. Ended up calling another ryokan about 2km or so from the originally planned minshuku and got myself booking! Success.

With 3 bookings down all I needed was the one to sunday so I called to them again. One still didn't reply but other replied and told they are taking holiday on Sunday! That was unexpected but guess even minshuku/ryokan owners might want to take a break. Bit odd for peak season but their choice(and yes I'm pretty damn sure I heard them right. "sono hi ni yasumimasu"

This was slight annoyance but there were still options. I could wait and try the other place again like next day. There was 3rd choice bit further away. Temple #2 also offers lodging so I could sleep there. Maybe do first temple on sunday and thus shorten day.

Or...I could stay say in Tokushima proper and on monday morning take early train to Bando and start my walk. I realized also this had added bonus. I had hoped to visit Torinji(oku-no-in of first temple) on sunday but arrival to Tokushima from airport would be so late that there and back would take so long arrival to minshuku would be late. Generally rule is to check in around 3-5pm especially if you have meals so this wouldn't be possible.

If I stay in business hotel however things are different. They don't have set dinner time. You can get in and out pretty much at will.

This sounded good so I looked at trivago and sure enough got a bed in hotel right next to Tokushima station. Yey!

So there. First 4 nights booked up. This takes me to Shosanji. I will book more once I get there once I know whether legs can maintain me on the walk further or not.

Everything pretty much packed up and ready to go. Plane departs tomorrow. Legs are itching! Let's go!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti